After receiving my Bachelor's and Master's degree in Applied Mathematics in 2011 and 2013 from Trier University (Germany), I started working as a research assistant in the research group of Volker Schulz on PDE-Constrained Optimization at Trier University in 2013. Throughout this time, I was also pursuing my Ph.D. in the area of Modeling, Simulation and Optimization of Fermentation Processes. I successfully defended my doctoral thesis on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization of Wine Fermentation on February 1, 2018.
Subsequently, I was a postdoctoral researcher in the research group of Lorenz Biegler on Optimization and Numerical Methods for Process Design, Analysis, Operations and Control at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA (USA) from March 2018 to January 2020.
I recently joined Elena Akhmatskaya's group on Modeling and Simulation in Life and Materials Sciences as a postdoctoral researcher at the Basque Center for Applied Mathematics (BCAM) in Bilbao, Basque Country (Spain) where I mainly work on Predictive Modeling of Metabolism Through Monte Carlo Sampling and Machine Learning for Metabolic Modeling in collaboration with researchers from Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBL, USA) and Washington University in St. Louis (USA). Presently I also hold an affiliate postdoctoral researcher appointment at LBL.
- Modeling, simulation and optimization with particular focus on energy and healthcare applications:
- Machine learning for metabolic modeling and optimal design
- Predictive metabolic modeling through advanced sampling techniques
- Algorithm and software development for variance and parameter estimation of reaction kinetics from spectroscopic data coming from chemical or pharmaceutical processes
- Mixed-effects models for kinetic parameter estimation
- (Numerical) analysis of systems of PDEs, PIDE/OIDEs and DAEs
- Robust CFD-based optimization of biogas power plants
- Economic nonlinear model predictive control with parameter and state estimation for wine fermentation
- Numerical modeling and analysis of integro-differential equations, systems of weakly hyperbolic differential equations or respectively reaction-advection equations
- Population balance models